So, the day has finally come and I am a senior in college. Since I am in the Social Work program this means that to graduate I must complete an internship of 400 hours. To be placed in my internship I must interview with my professor and he will decide where I will get to go. I want to go to the hospital and be a medical social worker. Apparently, this is one of the more competititive internships and he is really hard on those wanting to get into this internship.
During the interview he asks us questions about what theories we know and how we would use them in our practice. He also asks us lots of questions about ourselves and what we believe to be our strengths and weaknesses. The whole interview lasts an hour. Lucky for me, the only time that would work with my schedule is tomorrow at 8am. This is bad for 2 reasons, 1-I am not a morning person and I will have to leave my house super early to get there; and 2-I am the very first interview for this years internships. Yikes that is super scary!! I have NEVER been so nervous in my whole life!
Just since I need to know all these and I figured it would be a good way to study and help ease my nerves, you all get to read about the glorious theories I have learned about in my Social Work classes.
The first theory is Maslow's Hierarcy of Needs:
It is shaped as pyramid and the first are the most basic needs to the last is least needed. These are what we need as humans.
1st-Physiological-food, water, shelter
2nd-Safety-job security, money, education
3rd-Love/Belonging- family, friends, spouse
4th-Esteem-confidence, happiness
5th-Self Actualization-problem-solving, self-expression
FLID Theory of Dependency:
Is used to describe adicts and their addictions.
F-Frequency-How often do you use this?
L-Latency-How long can you go between uses?
I-Intensity-How good do you feel when you use it? or How do you feel when you can't have it?
D-Duration-How long have you been using?
Systems Theory
Used to descibe human relationships to all other things.
Humans are a small part of bigger systems. We have many systems that we are a part of like church, work, school, family, community. When used to treat clients we have to realize that these systems have an impact on them and must be able to help them in many different systems to be an effective social worker.
ABC Model
A= Event-one time occurance
Situation-all the time occurance
B1=Perception-how we view things stictly with our 5 senses
Thought-our in/out process of ideas
Belief-something we believe in
B2=Feelings-inward thougths expressed outwardly
B3=Body Sensations-how we react to something with our body i.e. clenched jaw/upset stomach
C=Act-fight or flight instinct
Behave-our habits
Consequences-positive or negative outcomes
Kubler-Ross theory of death and dying
States the theory a person goes through when faced with death
Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance
Well thanks for helping me study. I hope I didn't bore you too much and that you maybe learned something along the way. I will tell you in a few days how things went.
12 years ago

1 comments:
GOOD LUCK!! You will do great!
Post a Comment