CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Grad School??

So before I get to the title of the post, I have a few other things I would like to vent/talk about. It is 1 AM as I sit her and type. Crazy I know, but Jon has a major cold right now and I couldn't sleep with his snoring, so I came into our office/spare bedroom where our computer is and decided this would be a good way to pass the time until I could go to sleep. I have really been missing Jon lately. This week he was in Bismark, North Dakota and the week before that he was in Boise. Then he lease again on Tuesday night to go back to Boise. Man I feel like that all he does lately is travel. I understand the reasoning for it, but it is just so sudden and I don't like him being gone for that long. Oh well, I am a big girl I will just have to deal. Besides, there are a lot of worse things I could think we would have to deal with.
Ok, so on to the topic at hand. I am trying to decide on grad school. It is between the Univsersity of Utah and BYU. There are good and bad to each one. The U is and accelerated program, taking only 1 year to finish. Yet it doesn't have the area I specifically want to focus in, only my second choice. Also it is closer to our house. The BYU it is a two year program, but it does have my emphasis, which is Child and Family Therapy, if you were wondering. But, it is farther from home. Also, it costs less money than the U. Both are good schools academically. BYU is well known across the nation for having a high standard for academics. Yet, I fear in my profession of Social Work, people will see that I went to BYU and think that I want to push my religion on my clients. Does that make sense even?
The other thing weighing heavily on my mind is when to start a family. I want to have kids and I can now say I would be alright if I were to get pregnant at any time. I know I want to stay home once I have children, at least until they are all in school. Going to grad school would put another 2 years wait on having kids, which would make me 27 by the time we start trying. I just don't know what to think anymore. I know you all have ideas and suggestions. I know this will illicit responses out of most people. So I want feedback and ideas from all. Don't be afraid to tell me your opinion. I NEED NEED NEED the comments so throw 'em at me!
Good night all!!

5 comments:

small town Hood said...

We did the kid thing while Thomas was in school but I don't know if I would do it while I am. If ou want to finish school I say get it over with before kids. A child will throw in another stress to your studying. You will want to be home when you are at school and vice versa. BUT I also want to be done with having kids before I am 35 at the latest. I hope you make the right choice for you. luv ya cuz!!

Doug & Stef said...

Just do what you think you should do Sarah- but there seems to be a lot of factors weighing in - Do you reallly want to commute for 2 years? I went to the U and I have to say I didn't like how liberal they were, but it is so much closer and the program is half what it is compared to byu. As far as kids, we never had a set time frame on when we should have kids until our Heavenly Father intervened and TOLD us w/o me asking that it was time. Always do what He wants you to do and everything else will fall into place - I'm still waiting for it to fall into place haha!

small town Hood said...

hey girl we should get together. I am selling jewelry now and should be in Greenville for part of that month. If you or your mom want to host a show I would be glad to do it. luv ya
Heather

Bonnie said...

Hey cuz-in-law! I just found your blog - LOVE IT - and thought I'd put in my two cents. If you are planning on staying home the first 5 years(or more depending on how many kids you decide to have), have you considered how hard it would be to get a job in your field? I know here in GA, most employers look at your experience as much as if not more than your education. Staying home to raise your children is a wonderful thing - don't get me wrong - that's what I would do if we ever decided to adopt - but your education has been so important to you and I know you really want to be a social worker.

Just something to think about! :)

Love you!

Christy said...

I don't know if feedback from me is what you were eliciting but you sound so much like me I just can't not respond!
I agree with what the one person said about asking Heavenly Father. He'll tell you what you should do. But sometimes we have to make the decision, start making steps toward it, continue to pray about, and then He'll tell you if its right or wrong.
But from my personal experience, I know I was supposed to go to grad school. Heavenly Father answered that question for me. I had the same passion for social work as you do. But now that I have Parker that has changed. I am truly grateful for my social work background, but its not the only thing that defines me anymore. Parker defines me more.
So its tough, because your career choice does benefit your family and everyone around you.
All I know for sure is don't try to have kids and be in school. As a mother, once you have that baby in your arms, the last thing you're gonna want to do is leave him/her to go to class. And you'll hate having to tell your baby "Just a sec" so you can finish a paper.